Building and Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and working Conditions) Act
Chapter VIII - Inspecting Staff
Section 42: APPOINTMENT OF DIRECTOR-GENERAL, CHIEF INSPECTOR AND INSPECTORS
(1) The Central Government may, by notification, appoint a Gazetted Officer of that Government to be the Director General of Inspection who shall be responsible for laying down the standards of inspection and shall also exercise the powers of an Inspector throughout India in relation to all the establishments for which the Central Government is the appropriate Government.
(2) The State Government may, by notification, appoint a Gazetted Officer of that Government to be the Chief Inspector of Inspection of Buildings and Construction who shall be responsible for effectively carrying out the provisions of this Act in the State and shall also exercise the powers of an Inspector under this Act throughout the State in relation to establishments for which the State Government is the appropriate Government.
(3) The appropriate Government may, by notification, appoint such number of its officers as it thinks to be Inspectors for the purposes of this Act and may assign to them such local limits as it may think fit.
(4) Every Inspector appointed under this section shall be subject to the control of the Director General or the Chief Inspector, as the case may be, and shall exercise his powers and perform his functions under this Act subject to general control and supervision of the Director General or the Chief Inspector.
(5) The Director General, the Chief Inspector and every Inspector shall be deemed to be public servants within the meaning of Section 21 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).