Building and Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and working Conditions) Act
Chapter X - Penalties and Procedure
Section 50: PENALTY FOR OTHER OFFENCES
(1) Whoever contravenes any other provision of this Act or any rules made there under or who fails to comply with any provision of this Act or any rules there under shall, where no express penalty is elsewhere provided for such contravention or failure, be punishable with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees for every such contravention or failure, as the case may be, and in the case of a continuing contravention or failure, as the case may be, with an additional fine which may extend to one hundred rupees for every day during which such contravention or failure continues after the conviction for the first such contravention or failure.
(2) A penalty under sub-section (1) may be imposed- (a) by the Director General where the contravention or failure relates to a matter to which the appropriate Government is the Central Government; and
(b) by the Chief Inspector where the contravention or failure relates to a matter to which the appropriate Government is the State Government.
(3) No penalty shall be imposed unless the person concerned is given a notice in writing- (a) informing him of the grounds on which it is purposed to impose a penalty; and
(b) giving him a responsible opportunity of making a representation in writing within such reasonable time as may be specified in the notice against the imposition of penalty mentioned therein, and, if he so desires, of being heard in the matter.
(4) Without prejudice to any other provision contained in this Act, the Director General and the Chief Inspector shall have all the powers of a civil court under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908), while exercising any powers under this section, in respect of the following matters, namely:- (a) summoning and enforcing the attendance of witnesses;
(b) requiring the discovery and production of any document;
(c) requisitioning any public record or copy thereof from any court or office;
(d) receiving evidence of affidavits; and
(e) issuing commissions for the examination of witnesses or documents.
(5) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to prevent the person concerned from being prosecuted under any other provision of this Act or any other law for any offence made punishable by this Act or by that other law, as the case may be, or for being liable under this Act or any such law to any other or higher penalty or punishment then is provided for such offence by this section : Provided that no person shall be punished twice for the same offence.