Employees Provident Fund Scheme
Membership of the Fund
Section 27-A: Exemption of a class of employees
(1) The appropriate Government may by order and subject to such conditions as may be specified in the order exempt from the operation of all or any of the provisions of this Scheme any class of employees to whom the Scheme applies:
Provided that such class of employees is entitled to benefits in the nature of Provident Fund, gratuity or old age pension according to the rules of the factory or other establishment and such benefits separately or jointly are on the whole not less favorable than the benefits provided under the Act and this Scheme.
(2) Where any class of employee is exempted as aforesaid, the employer shall in respect of such class of employees maintain such account, submit such returns, provide such facilities for inspection, pay such inspection charges and invest provident fund collections in such manner as the Central Government may direct.
Provided that above mentioned returns shall be submitted by the employer in electronic format also, in
such form and manner as may be specified by the Commissioner.
(3) A class of employees exempted under sub-paragraph (1) or the majority of employees constituting such class may by an application to the Commissioner make a declaration that the class of employees shall become Member of the Fund.
(4) No class of employees shall be granted exemption or permitted to apply out of exemption more than once on each account.
(5) The Provisions of this paragraph shall be deemed to have come into force with effect from 14th October, 1953.