Employees Provident Fund Scheme
Nominations, Payments and Withdrawals From The Fund
Section 62: Financing of Members' Life Insurance Policies
(1) Where a manner desires that premium due on a policy of Life Insurance taken by him on his own life should be financed from his Provident Fund Account, he may apply in such from and in such manner as may be prescribed by the Commissioner.
(2) On receipt of such application the Commissioner, or,where so authorised by the Commissioner, any other officer subordinate to him may make payment on behalf of the member to the Life Insurance Corporation of India towards premium due on his policy:
Provided that no such payment shall be made unless the premium is payable yearly.
(3) Any payment made under sub-paragraph (2) shall be made out of and debited to the member's own contribution with interest thereon standing to his credit in the Fund.
(4) No payment shall be made under sub-paragraph (2) unless the member's own contribution in his Provident Fund Account with interest thereon is sufficient to pay the premium; and where the payment is to made on the first premium, sufficient to pay the premium for two years.
(5) No payment shall be made towards a policy unless it is legally assignable by the member to the Central Board.
(6) The Commissioner shall before making payment in respect of existing policies, satisfy himself by reference to the Life Insurance Corporation that no prior assignment of the policy exists and the policy is free from all encumbrances.
(7) No educational endowment policy or marriage endowment policy shall be financed from the Fund, if such policy is due for payment in whole or in part before the member attains the age of 55 years.