Employees Provident Fund Scheme
Nominations, Payments and Withdrawals From The Fund
Section 68-J: Advance form the Fund for illness in certain cases
(1) A member may be allowed non-refundable advance from his account in the fund in case of-
(a) hospitalisation lasting for one month or more, or
(b) major surgical operation in a hospital, or
(c) suffering from T.B. , leprosy,paralysis,cancer, mental derangement or heart ailment and having been granted leave by his employer for treatment of the said illness.
(2) The advance shall be granted if-
(a) The employer certifies that the Employees' State Insurance Scheme facility and benefits thereunder are not actually available to the member or the member produces a certificate from the Employees' State Insurance Corporation to the effect that he has ceased to be eligible for cash benefits under the Employee' State Insurance Scheme; and
(b) A doctor of hospital certifies that a surgical operation or, as the case may be, hospitalisation for one month or more had or has become necessary or a registered medical practitioner, or in the case of mental derangement or heart ailment, a specialist, certifies that the member is suffering from T. B , leprosy, paralysis, cancer, mental derangement or heart ailment.
(3) A member may be allowed non-refundable advance from his account in the fund for the treatment of a member of his family who has been hospitalised, or requires hospitalisation, for one month or more-
(a) for a major surgical operation, or
(b) for the treatment of T.B. , leprosy, paralysis, cancer, mental derangement or heart ailment:
Provided that no such advance shall be granted to a member unless he has produced-
(i) a certificate from a doctor of the hospital that the patient has been hospitalised or requires hospitalisation for one month or more, or that a major surgical operation had or has become necessary, and
(ii) a certificate from his employer that the employees' State Insurance Scheme facility and benefits are not available to him for the treatment of the patient.
(4) The amount advanced under this paragraph shall not exceed the member's basic wages and dearness allowance for six months or his own share of contribution with interest in the Fund, whichever is less.
(6) Where the Commissioner or, where so authorised by the Commissioner any officer subordinate to him is not satisfied with a medical certificate furnished by the member under this paragraph ,he may, before granting an advance under this paragraph ,demand from the member another medical certificate to his satisfaction.